Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Flat Classroom

I think that I can first link my different classrooms together and then bring in the upstairs groups.  We could start by posting physics lab data on a Google Doc and comparing data for accuracy and repetitive results.  Because we have 7 different lab stations with CPO equipment, I think it would be interesting to see the data collected by different students at the same lab station and the differences between the lab stations themselves.  For example, why does the car accelerate so much more at station 2 than at 5 when all of the equipment is virtually identical?  Or, why do students from my COB class get so different of results from my TDC class?
I think I could use asynchronous learning to see differences and to get my students to achieve more repeatable results in their physics lab experiments.  As of now, none of the students see the data or calculations of other students, even in the same laboratory group.  We verbally share results that are inferred through questions over the data, but no one actually compares their data side by side.
The linking could be expanded to other middle schools in the district that are using the same equipment and procedures.  Of course, some correspondence would be in order to get everyone on the same page, as far as, procedures go...everyone would have to do the experiment exactly the same way.  For example, we would have to agree how high to set the ramp for the speed lab, where to put the photogates, make sure everyone used the ramp foot, etc...
I think it would be easy to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment